Welcome Parents and Carers to our Year 1's page.
Here you will find all the information you will need to support your child's learning and development at home.
You can also find us on our Class Dojo's
We have two sessions of P.E each week on a Tuesday and Thursday. Your child will need to bring pumps/trainers, a white t shirt, and black shorts (Thursday). They will also need a pair of tracksuit bottoms for outdoor games (Tuesday).
Homework is given out each half term. There are various activities for the children to pick each week. The chosen activity must be completed and returned to school by each Thursday. Learning Log challenges are based around work completed in class, and are linked to our topic work. Children may be required to write, draw, make, design or research something each week.
Spellings are given out on a Friday and children are tested the following Friday. It is really important that you practice the weekly spellings with your child as it will help with their reading and writing progress.
It is extremely important that your child attends school every day, and arrives on time. School starts at 8.50am. We are trying to achieve 100% attendance each week.
In maths some of the things we are learning are to...
- Read, write and order numbers to 20.
- Count reliably objects to 20 and beyond
- Add and subtract numbers to 20 using fingers, objects, number lines and other mental strategies e.g. placing the big number in their head and counting on or back.
- Count in steps of 2, 5 or 10.
- Find one more/less than a given number to 20 and beyond.
- Name 2D and 3D solids and begin to describe their properties.
- Name and order the days of the week and months of the year.
- Tell the time at o'clock and half past.
- Measure length, mass and capacity.
- To solve problems using 1p and £1.
Reading - When reading we encourage the use of different strategies. They are-
Word/picture/word look at the word first look at the picture for clues and back to the word.
Sounding out the word e.g d-o-g
Chunking words e.g hel/i/cop/ter
Recognising tricky words and reading them without trying to sound them out.
‘close looking’ left to right across the word.
Reading on to the end of the sentence to check it makes sense, returning to the beginning if it doesn’t.
Remember to read your book every day at home every evening, and remember to bring your book into school each day. Once you have read 100 books, you will receive a gold certificate and a book. This will be presented to you in assembly.
Writing - In writing, we are learning to ...
- Sit our writing on the line
- Use finger spaces between words
- To use cursive handwriting
- To use a capital letter at the beginning
- of a sentence, and for names and places
- Use a full stop at the end of a sentence
- Use describing words (adjectives) to add detail in sentences
- Use 'connectives' for e.g 'and' and 'because' to extend sentences
- To use different openers at the beginning of sentences e.g First, Next and The
History: We will be studying key events of space exploration and discovering more about the brave astronauts who have visited the Moon and the International Space Station.
Art: We will be investigating the work of Jackson Pollock and using his unique style to inspire our own space themed artworks.
Science: In science, we will be learning about animals including humans.